3 Years ago on August 26, 2006 when I started fostering her at 5 months, 9 days (yes, I requested Rich go to Sears and get her an exersaucer and then he had to put it together and buy a screwdriver and ask for it in Spanish)
Tummy time and learning to roll
I also brought a bouncy seat
Our home away from home for 88 days--Hotle San Carols
Three years ago we boarded a plane
In Guatemala I would remain
With Savannah until our paperwork was done
And a family we would become
We did not know long it would be
Until we could come home all three
It could be weeks or months or longer
In the end it would just make our bond stronger
I could not be away from her any more
Even if we did not know what was in store
We went on hope and faith
And we would just wait
We pulled up to the Hotel San Carlos which would be my home
And I had an apartment to call my own
That is where Savannah and I met lots of friends
Who supported us until the very end
We waited for the day and did not know when
And then October 11th we were out of PGN
We knew then the end was near
And soon that faithful day would be here
We went to the Embassy and got her visa to come to the USA
But leaving Guatemala was sad in a way
I grew to love this country that was foreign to me
the people, the history, and the coffee
Nothing could compare to the experience I had
And through it all I feel so lucky and glad
We were there 88 days in all
Almost through the entire Fall
It was so worth it to spend that time
In her birthday country with that girl of mine
She is so special and so sweet
Everyday with her is a treat
I don't know where the 3 years have gone
She is growing up and I don't know how to respond
She had changed so much and is now going to school
It seems like yesterday she was just starting to drool
She is an amazing little girl and we love her so much
Thanks Savannah for being you, bringing us so much joy, making us laugh, and giving us your big smiles and hugs that make every day a special one.









How special Carrie! You have done a fabulous job raising Savannah, it's amazing that only three years ago she was so tiny isn't it? They grow up so fast - just imagine in 3 years you'll be doing the same for sweet Seth?!
ReplyDeleteHugs to all!
Oh Carrie... sniff sniff, wipe away tears....that was beautiful...
ReplyDeleteCarrie, you brought tears to my eyes with that post. I hope you keep that and show her when she's older.
ReplyDelete