First some pictures--then onto my funny and oh so true and not so funny when it happened story.
Best seat in the house
Look at my head control doing tummy time
Savannah and her favorite food--PIZZA
Finally a nice day and we could take out the water table.
This is so Savannah--loves to play and organize many pieces. I am slowly moving all her toys with little pieces to her room for when the baby becomes mobile.
Ok, I have to post about my day today, because you are my dear friends who can relate. I got a really good night sleep with Seth sleeping from 11:30 p.m. to 6:45 a.m. straight. Yeah! He is doing that about every 3 nights now (we will have 2 nights with awakenings once or twice and then 1 night that he sleeps through 5-7 hours). So with my new found rest, I thought I would be truly efficient and have a great day.
Seth got up and I gave him a bottle. Except for cat naps, he did not go back to sleep until 12:30 p.m. for a nap. Savannah got up at 10:00 a.m. and we were all having a good time. Savannah's new speech session at UCONN was starting today and I was determined to be on time. Her appointment was at 2:00 p.m.
So, when Seth went down for a nap I got Savannah ready--dressed, changed, etc. Then we played a little bit and then she was brushing her teeth and I prepared her milk (since she will ONLY drink milk in the car now). She was done brushing her teeth herself and I went in to help her. While in the bathroom, I decided that I would finally get to pee myself. In the 30 seconds it takes me, Savannah took her milk off the counter (which I did not put the lid on yet) and spilled it all over herself and the floor (it is chocolate too). She can drink fine from a regular cup without a lid (not in the car though), but she can't take it off the counter and not spill it from above her head trying oh so very hard to reach it. So, I had to change her again and clean up the mess and prepare new milk (1/2 chocolate, 1/2 regular warm). So now it is 1:20 p.m. I am thinking I can still make it in time. UCONN is 30 minutes away.
I wanted to let Seth sleep as long as possible and then my plan was to put him in his car seat and that he would stay asleep. So, I put everything in the car, Savannah is settled and drinking her milk and I carefully pick up Seth to place him oh so gently in the car seat so he doesn't wake up--NOT. He stinks. So I have to change his diaper. I put him down on the changer and he starts to scream. I take off his pants and unsnap his onesie. I open his dirty diaper and he instantly pees all over himself, the changing pad, and me. So now I have to clean up a dirty baby and pee and change me and him. I don't have time to give him a bath, so I wipe him down and change him while he is screaming. I settle him down, change my clothes and then clean up and throw everything in the laundry. Meanwhile, Savannah is in the car (in the garage--so she is safe). Luckily, she is happily drinking her milk, eating pretzels and oblivious to what is going on in the house. So, now it is 1:39 p.m. and our appointment is at 2:00 p.m. and it take 30 minutes to get there. So, I call and tell them I had the best of intentions of being on time, but the best laid plans do not come to pass with a toddler and a newborn. They say I can come anyway. So, I put Seth in the car. He screams the whole way there. Savannah finishes her milk and we arrive at 2:15 p.m.
After all that, the people are SO nice at UCONN. They LOVED both my children and doted on them. They thought Savannah was precious and sweet and beautiful and she loved her new speech therapists. They said her receptive language is above her age level, but her expressive language is at the level of a 2 year old. Of course, they don't know the leaps and bounds she has made in the last SIX weeks. They said it is fun to work with children with strong receptive language because the expressive language comes quickly when they understand. She is going to have speech at UCONN until the end of July and then they are off for the month of August and then she starts school in September, where her language will blossom. We are just doing this to give her some more confidence and keep the progress going that she has made. We are so proud of her.
Oh, and I did get the first comment about Seth being adopted from China. I knew it would come. The speech therapist said, "So did you just get back from China?" I know that is going to be the assumption. She did not mean anything deragatory, she just had never heard of adoption from Japan. People are very interested after hearing that and love to hear about our journey and when Savannah tells them that she was in "Yokeeo, Pan."
And one more thing that Savannah did last night. I had pictures out from Japan and was putting some in frames in Seth's room and Savannah picks one up and says, "Nana, apartment." I wasn't even paying attention to her. She was just browsing the ones on the floor and she found one of herself sitting on the floor and playing in our apartment in Tokyo. I was shocked that she recognized it. Then I had her go show Daddy and tell him where Nana is in the picture. He said he would not have known immediately where she was except the pillow was on the floor and he recognized it. It was a close up of Savannah, so you could not see a lot of the background. She really knows so much and I think she will retain memories of our time in Japan. She still remembers Disney Sea, Roppongi, Train Stop 4 off the Hibya Line, and obviously our apartment.









I love your new blog. Congrats on adding Seth to your family. I would be intrested in knowing which agency you used, we are thinking about starting the process next year.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait until I get enough time to go back and read the older posts!
what a day! you go mommy... :)
ReplyDelete