Saturday, May 23, 2009

Friends & Baby Comments

Savannah reading her Big Sister card from her friend Brehana. A "pink pincess setshirt" Thanks Shelby and Brehana and for the box of boy clothes. We love them!
Mommy and two tired kids.
Savannah and Maggie playing at Maggie's house to celebrate Maggie's Mommy's Birthday.
Savannah, Maggie, and Sammy watching Dora (Maggie and Sammy are brother and sister)
Lauren (Mommy to Be and now an MD) and Savannah
Future Dad Dave (Lauren's hubby)
Lauren and Savannah just love each other
Erin and Seth (Erin is Israel's wife--Israel and Lauren were both Rich's medical students for 4 years in the office)
Lauren and Seth--In a few months Lauren will have a little guy or girl
Josh, Noah, and Savannah playing outside (Kim's adorable boys)
Josh on the Dora trike
Bubbles and Toddlers--perfect together--thanks Kim for the Dora bubble maker. We play with it every day.
More Bubbles and Cuties
I have to start out by saying that I have the best, dearest, and truest friends (before I go off on my pet peeve about ridiculoous things people say). Also the most thoughtful and generous. Each day this week i have gotten a box from friends filled with goodies for Seth and Savannah. My heart is overflowing with joy and gratitude.
Also, we have gotten to see a lot of our friends recently too. I was thrilled to see my friend Kim (who helped orchestrate Seth's adoption). She used to the live in CT and we were just becoming close friends and she moved to TN. I miss her so much and even though we only knew each other a short time in CT, we became the best of friends and near or far she is always close in my heart. Unfortunately she was in CT for sad circumstances, but we were overjoyed to see her. She and her precious boys came to visit us. We had SO MUCH fun and she showered my children with gifts galore. Thank you Kim (she also just redesigned my blog for the 25th time LOL--she is amazing).
Last weekend we celebrated Rich's medical student's graduation. We went to her wedding in October and she announced she is 14 weeks pregnant. We are so excited for them! They are the sweetest couple. We will miss them as they are moving to Maine for her residency, but we hope they come back.
Ok, now onto Baby Comments. Do people just not know what to say to people with a baby? Do they just lose their brain and say dumb things? Why do people say things to and about a baby that they would not say to an adult? Here are the ones that are really bothering me lately...
1. He is so chunky. Is he big for his age? No actually he isn't and he isn't chunky. Baby's are supposed to look like this. Would you ask an adult if they are fat? NOOOOOO!!!! So why do you ask a parent about their child?
2. He has so much hair. Yes, aren't you stating the obvious. Or could you say, "His hair is so nice or so handsome or so cute." Are most babies bald? Both my children had hair. Don't people have hair? Would you say to a bald person or someone losing their hair, "You don't have much hair."
3. Is he trying to go to the bathroom? There is just no reason for this. Give me a break. Why would you say that?
4. Why is he crying? He is a baby. If I knew, don't you think I would solve it and not just let my child cry.
5. You are spoiling him. You cannot spoil a newborn. They need love and attention.
6. Is your baby a boy or a girl? There is no bow (in all that hair), he is in overalls, blue, green, brown, and black. Take a wild guess. If you weren't sure if an adult was a man or a woman would you ask?
Ok, now this is not a general baby comment, but this really urked me. We went to Rich's office yesterday to visit and introduce our children to them and one person said to Rich, "He looks exactly like you. A spitting image." Now this person knows we adopted. Rich has light hair and blue eyes. I just found that insulting and distastful and inappropriate. This person was probably trying to be funny, but it came off wrong to me. Maybe I am just sensitve. I love and am honored when people say my children look like me. I love my children and my husband, but they just don't look like him.
Have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend everyone! My dad is coming and I can't wait!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Breahna and I are honored to be able to call you friends. You bring joy to our hearts and lives. We had fun picking out things for
    Savannah and Seth. I can NOT wait to see you next month!!!!!!! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE pictures!

    I hear you on the comments, I used to roll my eyes at the "he looks just like Thad" comments we got when J was a baby. uh, no he does NOT & guess what...we are just fine with that! :) Hello, we are not Asian, our kids are & we love them just the way they are. I don't know why people seem to think they need to reassure us in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously - Seth is NOT chunky. People are crazy!

    It was fantastic seeing you all too. I love the picture you took, I only have two! :)

    Have a good Memorial Day!!!!

    ReplyDelete